Friday 8 May 2009

Orchestral Maneuvers In The Park

CRAIG ALEXANDER LAING MANIFESTO 2009

I feel I have evolved as a designer a lot since September, it would seem as the country's financial state gets worse, I get better. When I started this course, I was a lot of things. Arrogant, confident, very fixed in the way I work, not particularly reliable and also very limited, skill wise. At least in comparison to the designer I am now. 

See? I was great.
I had very little knowledge of Illustrator, thought that doing 'hand made' graphic design was
 reason enough for a lobotomy, and generally stuck to one way of working. I liked the design I was producing, and didn't really see a need for change. When Fred said at the start of the year that if we thought we had a 'style' we should forget it, that resonates with me now because I am actively trying to approach briefs with a versatile attitude. 

Royal Mail weren't too interested
in my proposal.

I am happy with where I am now as a designer, I know there is an infinite amount of things I can improve about my work and thinking, but as is I am satisfied that I've come a long way, baby. Where I'd like to improve, work-wise, is my flexibility, I want to be able to look at a brief and find a solution that is right for the problem, rather than a solution that is right for me. 

I also want to improve my skills with things like print/book binding, photography, video (and video editing) as well as software. That said, software wise I want to become more proficient with Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash. I have a decent enough knowledge of those programs to get by with, but I want to become professional. 

As usual, timekeeping is an issue with me, and I want to eradicate it like Stalin did with his high-ranking officers. I wish I had his conviction. I do believe that I have made steady progress on this course, and that my understanding of Graphic Design, both in ways of thinking and also industry, has grown since coming here. 


No comments: