Sunday 11 January 2009

Fat Bwoy On A Diet, Don't Try It

This 100 project is really starting to get to me. Like a research-based form of Leprosy. I'm beginning to really regret choosing Lego as my research topic, having said that I suppose I'm not going to be able to choose to research things that are easy so it's part of the learning curve and whatnot. That aside - what the bloody hell have I been doing? Well, I'll tell you...

When I began this research I was sure I had a massive tub of Lego from when I was a wee bearn in my parents' loft, upon returning to Watford I found out that my Dad had decided to sell it all at a car boot sale. Nice of him. I didn't even get any of the proceeds. So yeah, finding Lego to actually work with proved excruciatingly difficult, but I managed to get my hands on one Lego set when I came back to Leeds, and just for reference, if anyone reading this ever needs to buy Lego, don't go to Leeds. Argos was sold out of all Lego apart from the £80 Star Wars AT-AT set, which I couldn't afford. Besides, I was more interested in getting Lego men than an actual model. All of Leeds' toy shopkeepers reacted with bewilderment when I enquired about Lego, and some of them had been shut down. In the end the only place that stocked it was Boots and they only had one set.

I wanted to focus on the Lego men because I knew they came in all sorts of colours and themes, so I created this video, it's 100 frames long and all that. It's meant to show a history of the Lego man, from 1978 to the present day - I couldn't get my hands on enough Lego men to actually make the photoshoot myself, so I scoured the internet for the relevant ones and pieced it all together, video at the bottom of this post ¬

I did take some photos of the Lego I had, I took quite a few but loads of them came out blurry or with terrible focus because my camera is a point-and-guess, in other words I broke the LCD display so I can't tell what I've got til I go back to the computer. I wanted to borrow a Digital SLR from the photography department but they were closed when I went in, anyway - here's a selection of some of my pics...




I really need to get myself a decent camera, I could've done this project in less time with half the mess if I had my own SLR. Maybe next Christmas... Anyway, I also trawled the depths of the internet [and in the process discovered that there is a huge geek community dedicated to Lego, it's verging on disturbing some of it..] and found loads of interesting images, pictures of things people had made out of Lego [including a technic Lego Uzi..?], some cool artworks people had done and some nice original Lego artwork. Here's some of the bits I thought were decent:



Anyway, back to the ol' grindstone...

No comments: