Wednesday 14 January 2009

Once, my friend haggled over the price of a bag of chips.

The title of my work will be 'Nathan Sawaya: Slick Like Brick', Nathan Sawaya is one of only six artists in the world who are endorsed and supported by Lego to produce purely Lego-based artwork. I spent a lot of time researching his work over christmas and I thought it was a quirky way to work, as he isn't restricted to creating pretty looking Lego models, he even created a working air conditioning unit out of Lego. 

As well as creating a small gallery of his work, I'd like to include a short biography on the guy, why he decided to get into using Lego, statistics like how many bricks he uses per annum or where he manages to get them all from, i'd also love to see some of his development work, initial sketchings or storyboards and the like. Obviously I'll be looking online for a lot of this research but I'd also like to check out the Library for any of his work in there, any magazines or periodicals that feature him or his work. 

An idea I've had between being handed the brief and now is to actually use Lego to create the covers and spine of a book, so that copies could be stuck together to make shapes and whatnot, I dunno, just an idea. I found this online:


Doesn't look too much harder to create than the books we created with Roger. Though, obviously, looks can be deceiving...

I intend to use InDesign to create my layout, with Illustrator and Photoshop as the image-creation tools, i think it'd be a good idea to gather up my images before creating a rough layout by hand, then bringing it into InDesign and finalising it. I'd really like to incorporate some actual Lego pieces into my work somehow, or give my book the feel of the pins on top of the bricks perhaps. I think I'll really have to focus on what I actually need to do to create this book, as I'm not too confident in my bookmaking skills, I know exactly how to create wire/plastic bound books, i've done that loads of times so I really don't want to go down that route, I want to learn something new. 

As far as evaluation is concerned, I'd say my best bet is to hold mini-crits with the guys in our class and get relevant feedback as I go along. Without this I think I'll just stick to my guns and follow my work through to the end regardless of wether it works or not so it's quite important. I intend to post my progress up onto the blog as well, and see if I can gather some feedback online, maybe post it to a Lego forum and see what the geeks think of it as well. 

No comments: