Monday 2 February 2009

Attack Of The Mega Bra

Right, as I predict everyone else in our class has, I've decided to go for the 'last-minute-panic' approach for the What Is A Line brief. First up is a little idea I pieced together where i've tried to think outside the proverbial cube, looking at Line as more of an idea than an actual 2D image. So yeah, i thought of using thickness of line as a way of documenting, so basically a timeline, where the thickness of the stroke corresponds to a particular activity. Gaze upon it with your eyes like:


Next is a little video I found [because it seems oh-so-fashionable to have videos on here for this brief...] based upon barcodes, it's stop animation, which means there's a slight chance I might even be able to replicate it, and I thought it was quite quirky:


I want to keep to the idea of line with this project visually, try and keep it as fixed and linear as possible, rather than try to manipulate line to create complex images, though this may change as I live my life and all that. An example of what I mean by this would be the work Peter Saville did for the cover of 'Unknown Pleasures' - a Joy Division album. If you don't like Joy Division or don't know who they were, switch off your computer, buy a couple of disposable barbecues, seal all ventilation in the room, light them, and wait. Only kidding, have a cup of tea or something.

Anyway, without further ado, here's Unknown Pleasures:


Apparently it's the reading given off by a star exploding, looks nice though eh? Anyway yeah i also came across another Video [Wow, yet more moving pictures!] which was based on this artwork for the song 'Disorder', really like what the guy's done here with this, if you think of it as basically starting off as a flat image like a barcode and all the possibilities that spring from there, it's quite impressive:



I'm not trying to turn this project into an Ian Curtis tribute or anything by the way, I just found it relevant and that. I think it'd be just spiffing to take something like that found anywhere in life, like for example someone's furrowed brow or the lines on a chisel and used that as a starting point to make something psychedelic.

No comments: