Friday 13 February 2009

The Lord Likes Drum And Bass

[Aka: End Of Module Self Evaluation]

What practical skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

In this module, I have had a lot of time to play around in InDesign, an area where I previously felt a bit weak but I'm now more confident with the programme on a whole. If I hadn't decided on my final idea so late into the project I would've liked to have really gone overboard in InDesign with the layout but I am happy with my final design all the same. 

What approaches to/methods of problem soling have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I'm happy with the way that I have ended up with a final piece that is totally different to the initial research I carried out on my subject, I feel that in this project I took more from the group crits and applied this to my design process, though I do realize that I could've gone much further with it and probably ended up with a totally different end piece, removed from my initial ideas. I've been finding it easier in this project to put ideas to paper than in the previous module, though I'm still not as good as I'd like to be at thinking visually. 

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalize on these?

I'm quite surprised at the quality of some of the photographs I took in this module, and feel more confident with a camera now than I had done before. Also, this is the first time I'd tried stop-motion animation for a project and I was quite happy with how my videos came out, though I think that without the stimulus of Lego I wouldn't have approached working that way. Having said that I do plan to get more involved with video in the future given the results I got this time round. 

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

Again unfortunately I feel that my research and development work will be the part that lets me down in this module, and that is integral to the brief. I find it really hard to put my ideas down, and am stuck in the mindset of think it>do it, without explaining how I got there or where my idea came from. I've no idea why I work like this in comparison to my peers here but I know that it makes marking my work difficult, I think I do a small amount of research and then jump straight into working on the development/final without giving it enough time to grow organically, and next time I think I need to assess my time management to allow time for that to happen.

Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1 -  Create an action plan from the start, set realistic deadlines within deadlines and stick to them, using things like post-it notes and google calendar for reminders. This should allow me the time I need to get the initial foundations of the work done.

2 - Back up everything I produce onto disk, this time round my home PC's graphics card failed and I haven't been able to access a lot of the work I'd done up til around the 3rd/4th week. 

3 - Although I feel I've used the blog more effectively this time round, I still feel that I could really exploit it, use it as a constant online critique of my progress and try and use it to gather feedback from my peers.

4 - Keep a visual record of the work I produce and not only post it onto the blog but print images off and stick them in a sketchbook to accompany my work.

5 - Try different media, this time round I saw people using the woodwork workshops, print workshops, etc. and towards the end I felt like I'd let myself down by not using the available tools to my advantage.

How would you grade yourself on the following areas:

5=Excellent, 4=Very Good, 3=Good, 2=Average, 1=Poor

Attendance - 3
Punctuality - 4
Motivation - 4
Commitment - 3
Quantity of work produced - 3
Quality of work produced - 4
Contribution to the group - 5

No comments: